Sunday, December 16, 2018

Faith of A Child

 

Today, I went solo to church. Hubby needed a day to recoup from the craziness of the last few weeks. Sunday is typically the day of the week that he can call his own. Pumpkin, of course, then decided he was staying home with daddy. By that point, I decided to let the Bear sleep in and go solo. It is nice to occasionally go solo. I don't have to worry about what the kids are doing, how they are acting, and it is more peaceful. I was set to enjoy a kid-less church service, or so I thought.

I have been making scarves for a few Christmas gifts, so I took along a crocheting project. I rarely take a project with me, but with Christmas only nine days away I wanted to maximize my time. I am not an expert by any means and fail miserably at reading crochet patterns. I typically just triple crochet row after row, so it is a great project to mindless do while watching tv, waiting for the kids to get out of school, or listening to others speak.

Grandma sat down next to me in the pew. Then three little sprites arrived and peaked at me from the pew in front of me. I have only seen the trio a few times in church. They began chatting with me, mesmerized by the crocheting project. My own personal fan club!

They pelleted me with questions, lots and lots of questions. What was I making? How did I do that? Who was it for? I wish I had a scarf. Do you make hats, too? Do you believe in Santa? Does the church hand out presents to everyone? I wish I could do that. I can't even draw. My birthday is next month. How many days until Christmas?

The little sprites were a lively crew. I answered the questions they ask, asked a few simple questions myself, but let them chat for the most part. I found out that one girl was in the 4th grade, one girl was the 2nd grade, and one boy was in kindergarten. They came to church all by themselves. Outside the church, I had noticed a child's bicycle and a push scooter in the grass. The oldest little sprite talked about coming from her grandmother's house many blocks away. She talked about her grandparents, but never mentioned her parents.

They watched me crochet a simple scarf before the church service. The oldest stating when she grows up she is going to crochet, too. Before the service started they scurried off to sit with an adult friend that they had made in the church on a previous visit. It is amazing how God turns the simplest, most unlikely things into something profound and meaningful.

Oh . . . to have the faith of a child, to seek out God, and to create your own path to follow! I hope that the little sprites return and that they experience the hope, joy, and love of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope in the Word "Will"

Wow! 2020 is definitely not what I would have imagined. We lost another family member in January, which is why I took another hiatus from...